Logo Design for a Sophisticated Brand24
Every blog has a unique audience, so the blog itself has to find a way to appeal to that audience.
One of the most difficult audiences to capture can be that of a sophisticated consumer. It can be difficult to achieve the prestigious, refined image you desire, without appearing outdated.
First impressions count, so making sure you have a strong and inspirational logo is the first step to creating a powerful luxury brand image.
The logo is essential. It gives direction and attitude and is a tool for impact to attract the right clientele.
Questions to Ask When Designing Logos
- The first question is of course ‘Who is the logo for?’ When dealing with luxury brands, you are dealing with a very specific audience which is often more discerning. Consumers of luxury goods desire products that are elite and not mass market. Such products represent an aspirational lifestyle. Logo design must try to reflect this.
- The logo should instantly identify the client and their values. It needs to be quickly recognized and to stick in the memory. It needs to portray sophistication and class for this market sector.
- Gain inspiration from historical designs, museums, art galleries – use imagery in your designs which appeals to this client base.
- Re-visit visual techniques from classical art – for example, perspective from the Italian master Masaccio or colour blending techniques from Leonardo Da Vinci.
- Keep in mind a balance between the historic and the contemporary. Select traditional calligraphy or classic type fonts when choosing your lettering. Use of these letters has always been associated with nobility and exclusivity. These fonts can then be applied in a more modern way. This can be done by manipulation of the scale and spacing of the character. In addition, overlaying these traditional letters with rational modern shapes can create the desired balance between old and new.
- Integrating traditional symbols to create a sense of reminiscence. If you can connect the modern brand to how the same product or company existed in the past, it will give the product a historical connection and deeper level symbolism. Take time to research the ancient guilds to see what symbols they were using. By basing your new logo on this concept you will create a deeper level of complexity.
- Keep the design simple and avoid being too decorative and ornate as it still needs to appear contemporary. Clean clear lines and geometries are always seen as modern. You can begin the design process with the historical and ornate designs and then in the second stage revise and simplify the logo to obtain the right balance.
- Create emotional links – use color, shape, and shadows to trigger emotional associations and deeper thoughts.
- Design a logo to represent a high end company that will last over time – it must be able to convey its message over time and adapt to cultural changes. Think of the great Renaissance artists of Florence whose work creates as strong an impact today as it did when it was created.
Bear all of this in mind as you design your logo, and the result should be a refined image that bears the luxury brand and still appeals to a modern audience.
About the Author – Marc Di Domenico is the director of the Florence Institute of Design International in Florence, Italy. The Florence Institute specializes in Graphic and Interior Design for an international student base.
Enjoy this post? You should follow me on Twitter!